I recently heard the phrase “there is no planet B” and this clever play with words really stuck with me. With all the clear evidence about the dramatic impact of climate change, we are living the consequences of past choices up close and personal.
No longer can we hide our heads in the sand avoiding what is right in front of us. The extreme heat, the forest fires, droughts, floods, hurricanes, and that’s just the summer. What’s in store for us this winter? So as the saying goes, when we know better, we do better. Now is the time to do better.
This last blog in my month-long series of “Being Honourable” from my book Being Joy™ is dedicated to honouring our planet for it is the only real home we have. And my request this week is an important one.
Make conscious choices.
Many of you are probably already doing some of these things, but they serve as a reminder to be more conscious about the products we buy and how we use them such as:
- Be more mindful about the products you purchase. Can they be recycled after use either in the recycling bin, a return to the manufacturer to recycle, or donated to a thrift shop?
- Put pressure on manufacturers who produce products that are only made for single use and intended for the landfill.
- Choose to take a refillable container when stopping at your favourite coffee shop.
- Consider a water filtration system for your home and take your own water when you go places instead of buying plastic water bottles.
- Support groceries stores that use compostable produce and grocery bags instead of single use ones which are starting to be banned in many places. Encourage other stores to do the same – with your wallet.
- Encourage governments to make recycling and compostable more accessible in outlying and remote areas.
- Eat less meat and consider plant-based proteins.
- Support local farmers and fisheries that incorporate sustainable practices.
- Waste nothing – just like our ancestors did. In those days it was about survival. I would argue that it still is.
Thankfully the youth and young adults of today have already adopted a more conscious mindset about protecting our planet than previous generations. Even the youngest of children are more aware about the fragility of our earth thanks to a shift in our education. Now it’s up to the rest of us to follow their lead and do our part.
It’s also time to learn from our indigenous communities throughout the world whose practice of environmental stewardship is part of their DNA. They have much to teach us if we will listen.
I am optimistic about our future. I believe there are many opportunities for businesses to adapt old and harmful ways of doing things. And there are many new start-ups developing innovative solutions for mitigating the challenges of climate change. I would encourage all of us to support and invest in those enterprises so they can continue to help replenish Mother Earth.
When you are more conscious about the choices you make, understanding the consequences on our future, then I believe you not only honour Mother Earth, but you honour yourself in the best possible way. And with that universal purpose in mind, that is truly joyful living.
Love from your Joy Mama,
P.S. If you haven’t already read my book Being Joy™, it’s a simple 40-day practice of replacing old self-defeating beliefs with new empowering joy habits. As your vibrational frequency increases, you’ll not only experience more joy, but you’ll also be a beacon of hope for others who have forgotten their own joy. Please join me on this important mission by ordering your copy today!
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like these:
Image courtesy of Pixabay.